- Soak urad dal for 2 hours and grind it into a smooth paste by adding little water.
- Grind coconut with garlic, small onion and jeera with little water, until everything is combined well.
- Add salt & keep the water to boil, when bubbles start appearing add rice powder, little by little (vattikuzhakkuka) , making sure its not watery. The dough should be soft.
- Add urad dal paste and coconut paste. Combine everything well. The consistency of batter should be same as that of Idli batter.
- Transfer the batter to a well greased steaming tin.
- Place the cross made with palm leaves on the middle of the batter. Cover the tin with aluminium foil. Steam in appachembu/steamer for 18 – 23 minutes. Let it cool for sometime and then transfer to a serving dish. Use the same flame till the end, ie if you are using medium flame, cook on medium flame through out.
Notes: I generally use the smallest burner in the stove to steam the appam. If you find it difficult to transfer the appam from steaming dish, place the steaming dish in cold water for sometime and then transfer the appam to a serving plate. I use Nirapara appam & Idiyappam podi to make Indri appam